Nearly every day of my life involves mosaics in one form or another. Between collaborating and planning installations, working with students and friends or simply gluing stuff to other stuff, I am immersed. Welcome to shiny pieces...
Visit my website www.kirstingreen.com

12.01.2012

let's hear it for the team


I love my job here in Mumbai. I am sad that it is coming to a close and hope someone else wants me to do the same for their international school, anywhere in the world. I am just putting this out there into the subether. If you or someone you know works at an international school or other institution would like me to come and consult on a community (it started out as student-driven but has evolved into so much more) collaborative mosaic mural workshop, just let me know and I will send along a proposal to get the ball rolling. This is a magical experience each and every time I do it. This is my seventh student driven mosaic project and I hope to do it a hundred more times. (I also do custom work. Just contact me.)

Enough self promotion. What I really want to talk about this time is my team. Students, teachers and moms, all equally giving their free time to see this project through, have carried this mosaic to its near completion. We grout in 6 days. This project, with its size and scope, should have taken 6-8 months to complete. And we did it in less than 4! Amazing.

I hope that all those involved will continue to create. That they will stay in touch and value the relationships that were fostered through over these months. It is difficult not to make friends when you spend so much time together! I want to thank everyone for their tireless commitment and commend all on a drama-free experience. It has been wonderful and I am entering into the wistful, nostalgic "I know I am leaving soon" phase of my trip, where I am teary-eyed much of the time... (each time I see something that reminds me of a memory or a person, which is a lot).


Thank you, Oberoi family, for treating me like a true professional, and an expert. I feel respected and admired here. I feel relevant as an artist and craftswoman. Thank you.


Thank you, staff of OIS, for supporting our project and welcoming me into the fold.


Thank you, students, for being sweet and uncomplaining, and for your dedication and good work. You created this wonderful work!


Thank you, moms, for saving this project. Without you, we would not have been able to finish.




 Thank you, friends, for everything. This isn't our last meeting.
 

 



 





xo,
Kirstin


3 comments:

  1. It was truly amazing, I will miss this type of work in my life. This art bring people together from different communities. Whenever i think of mural it reminds me the hardwork put in by everyone since september till end of the final peace and also most of us have not only workhard but they have given their sweat and blood too during the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirstin! This is wonderful! I thought of you today in a moment of quiet and came here to your blog to see what you were up to. I am really happy to see that you've been working on this fabulous project in India. You are an inspiration to me, to touch so many people with your art. I would love to catch up when you return.

    ReplyDelete